No, not the geezers you’re gonna see at the Super Bowl. These guys, in their prime:
Why are they the best rock band of all time?
1) They played there own instruments and wrote their own songs;
2) They sounded better live than they did on their records;
3) They were the forerunners of punk, hard rock, and just about anything else that came after them;
4) Keith Moon was the greatest rock drummer of all time, and rock and roll is all about drums;
5) Pete Townsend was no slouch either;
6) They put an exclamation point on true rock (read: rebellious) music that has never been surpassed;
7) Even in middle age, with more comebacks than Brett Favre, they played hard-driving music and never sold out with sappy love songs and even sappier “ballads”;
8) In fact, we can’t think of a single, sappy love song they ever sang (unlike The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, et al);
9) Keith Moon drank himself to death in his early thirties and John “The Ox” Entwistle* died in the Hard Rock Hotel, in Las Vegas, after playing a concert, with a stripper in his bed and an eight-ball on the night stand — true rocker’s deaths if ever there were two.
Finally, you might be asking yourself, why is ELV writing about rock bands on a food blog?
Hey, it’s ELV! We can write about any damn thing we want to!
* Fun musical fact: Entwistle was also an accomplished French horn player – something you can hear on the Overture to Tommy.